The heart is not just a physical organ. It is most important for a living being to sustain life. As it is the most important organ of the body, here are some interesting facts about it on World Heart Day
Bengaluru: On World Heart Day (September 29) it is interesting to have a glimpse of some fun and interesting facts about the heart.
1. What’s the size of your heart? Well, as big your fist is!
2. How many litres of blood does your heart pump daily? It pumps about 2,000 gallons.
3. Did you know the heart can continue beating even when it’s disconnected from the body?
4. Here’s something really interesting. The first implantable pacemaker was used in 1958. Arne Larsson, who received the pacemaker, lived longer than the surgeon who implanted it. Larsson died at 86 of a disease that was unrelated to his heart.
5. The first open-heart surgery occurred in 1893. It was performed by Daniel Hale Williams, who was one of the few black cardiologists in the United States at the time.
6. Whales have the largest heart of any mammal.
7. The giraffe has a lopsided heart, with their left ventricle being thicker than the right. This is because the left side has to get blood up the giraffe’s long neck to reach their brain.
8. The human heart weighs less than 1 pound. However, a man’s heart, on average, is 2 ounces heavier than a woman’s heart.
9. A woman’s heart beats slightly faster than a man’s heart.
10. Most heart attacks happen on a Monday.
11. The beating sound of your heart is caused by the valves of the heart opening and closing.
12. Heart cells stop dividing, which means heart cancer is extremely rare.
13. Laughing is good for your heart. It reduces stress and gives a boost to your immune system.
14. An electrical system controls the rhythm of your heart. It’s called the cardiac conduction system.
15. The American pygmy shrew is the smallest mammal, but it has the fastest heartbeat at 1,200 beats per minute.
The above facts were collected from healthline.com
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 29, Sep 2019, 12:02 PM