US intelligence says that as many as 35 Chinese soldiers killed in the Galwan Valley violence
Bengaluru: While India is indignant at the inhumane killings of its brave soldiers by China’s PLA at Galwan Valley at the India-China border, US intelligence has said that the deaths on the opposite ranks are 35.
Earlier reports had said that the deaths stood at 43, but US intelligence reports beg to differ.
Also Read: PM pays tribute to Galwan martyrs
Among the dead, it adds that a senior Chinese officer also lost his life.
As reported in many news reports, a hand-to-hand fight ensued between Indian soldiers and China’s PLA.
It is further reported that iron batons, stones and barbed wire were used to unleash terror on Indian soldiers.
As reported by News18, there was a furious hand-to-hand fighting for well over eight hours. The People’s Liberation Army assault teams were armed with iron rods as well as batons wrapped in barbed wire.
It added an officer as saying, “Even unarmed men who fled into the hillsides were hunted down and killed. The dead include men who jumped into the Galwan river in a desperate effort to escape.”
The website also quoted government sources say at least another two dozen soldiers are battling life-threatening injuries, and over 110 have needed treatment.
The website further quoted an official as saying thus: “There are obviously questions the public will want answers to, including why the troops under attack at Galwan could not be supported, and why casualties could not be evacuated. The government will conduct a full investigation of these issues.”
A note on the incident:
It all began when Indian soldiers dismantled a Chinese tent at Patrol Point 14, which is close to the mouth of the Galwan river. News18 has reported that the tent had been dismantled following a meeting between Lieutenant General Harinder Singh, who commands the Leh-based XIV Corps, and Major-General Lin Liu, the head of the Xinjiang military district
But just within two days, it should be noted that the PLA set up a fresh tent at Patrol Point 14. This was in clear violation of the agreement.
So, the tent was burned down. Col Santosh Babu also laid down his life. His father, proud of his son’s martyrdom added that it is a privilege to die for the country.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Jun 17, 2020, 5:07 PM IST