Nearly 50 people have died after Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas. The death toll is expected to rise significantly
Nassau: The Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said, on Wednesday, that around 2,500 people are unaccounted for in the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian.
NEMA spokesman Carl Smith told reporters that some of the missing people may eventually be located.
Smith said, "At this point there are approximately 2,500 individuals registered on the Bahamian government register (of missing people)”.
He also stated, however, that the list had not been checked against records held by the government, of those who are staying in shelters or who have been evacuated.
The hurricane that slammed into the northern Bahamas as a Category 5 storm has been responsible for the death of nearly 50 people and a significant rise is expected in the death toll.
Last week, the UN’s relief chief Mark Lowcock travelled to the island to lend a helping hand for a life-saving aid operation. Lowcock reportedly told the Bahamian Prime Minister that he would release $1 million "immediately, from the Central Emergency Response Fund, to deal with exactly the set of priorities that he has identified."
With PTI inputs
Last Updated 9:01 AM IST