Harry Singh Sidhu has defeated Ashleigh Aitken in the November 6 mid-term elections and is the new mayor of Anaheim
One of the largest cities in the state of California Anaheim has got its new mayor, and guess what! He is of Indian-American origin.
Harry Singh Sidhu has defeated Ashleigh Aitken in the November 6 mid-term elections and is the new mayor of Anaheim.
"I am honoured and thrilled to lead the charge in unifying our city once again," said Sidhu after his electoral victory.
Here are some facts about him:
1. Sidhu would be the first Sikh mayor of the city.
2. Sidhu served as a member of the Anaheim City Council for eight years, from 2002 to 2012.
3. Sidhu, who was born in India, moved to the US along with his parents in 1974.
4. He settled in Philadelphia as a permanent resident.
5. Once sworn in, mayor-elect Sidhu will be one of the few Sikh mayors in the US. The other Sikh mayor Ravinder Singh Bhalla of Hoboken and Mayor Preet Didbal of Yuba City.
"It is incredibly exciting to see Mr Sidhu, a Sikh, become mayor of such a large and diverse city. I look forward to engaging with him on issues that impact Sikhs in Anaheim, and the larger Orange County region," said Jas Sajjan, Director of Public Policy for the National Sikh Campaign.
With inputs from PTI
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Nov 9, 2018, 11:54 PM IST