These amendments will significantly improve the financial resources and administrative powers of the autonomous district councils of Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura, fulfilling long-standing aspirations of the tribal population in these Northeastern states
New Delhi: At a time when the Opposition is determined to spread the narrative that the BJP is set to destruct the autonomy of the Northeast, the Union cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday approved a landmark amendment to Article 280 and the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution.
These amendments will significantly improve the financial resources and administrative powers of the autonomous district councils of Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura, fulfilling long-standing aspirations of the tribal population in these Northeastern states.
This move by the government comes as a corrective measure to douse the fire in the Northeast over the Citizenship Amendment Bill row.
Here’s all you need to know
- This move will empower the autonomous districts councils in Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura.
- There will be a significant increase in financial resources and powers of the autonomous districts councils.
- Thirty percent seats in village and municipal council reserved for women in VI schedule areas of Assam, Mizoram and Tripura.
- This will be a game changer, as it will substantially enhance the funds available to these local government institutions for undertaking development works in these tribal areas.
- The amendment also provides for the transfer of additional 30 subjects including Public Works Department, Forests, Public Health Engineering, Health & Family Welfare, Urban Development and Food & Civil Supply to Karbi Anglong Autonomous Territorial Council (KAATC) and Dima Hasao Autonomous Territorial Council (DHATC) in Assam.
- The amendments provide for elected village and municipal councils ensuring grass root democracy.
- Meghalaya has for the time being kept out of the purview of the provision for elected village and municipal councils and one-third reservations for women.
Last Updated Jan 23, 2019, 6:09 PM IST