Lahore: India and Pakistan have agreed on "80% and beyond" the draft agreement, and operationalisation of the landmark Kartarpur corridor, a senior Pakistani official said on Sunday (July 14) after a marathon meeting between the officials of the two countries in Wagah.

The corridor would connect Darbar Sahib in Pakistan's Kartarpur with Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district and facilitate visa-free movement of Indian Sikh pilgrims, who would have to obtain a permit to visit Kartarpur Sahib, which was established in 1522 by Sikh faith founder Guru Nanak Dev.

Briefing the media at Wagah after about a four-hour long second round of talks on Sunday (July 14), Foreign Office spokesperson Mohammad Faisal, who was leading the 13-member Pakistani delegation, said there has been positive progress in the corridor talks.

"There are positive developments. Both countries have agreed on 80% and beyond regarding the Kartarpur corridor agreement," he said, adding that the two sides would resolve the remaining 20% issues in the next meeting.

When asked about the joint statement, Faisal said, "Until we agree on the final draft, we cannot share. On unresolved issues, we think we will have to have another sitting."

Replying to a question about how many Indian Sikhs would be issued permit at the opening of the corridor in November, he said: "It may be 5,000 or 8,000 as I cannot give the exact number. This is yet to be decided."

Faisal, who is also the director general of South Asia and SAARC, further said that Pakistan had planted a sapling of peace.

"This is a corridor of peace, and we have planted a sapling of peace," he said.

Before the start of the meeting, Faisal said Pakistan is committed to opening the corridor for Indian Sikh pilgrims on the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.

"Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan wants peace in the region. He is committed to open the corridor in time for the 550th birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Nanak in November 2019," he said.

The Indian delegation arrived at the Wagah border after 9 am (local time), and the meeting between the two sides began soon after. The eight-member Indian delegation was headed by SCL Das, joint secretary (IS-I), MHA.

The first round of talks was held in Attari on March 14 in the shadow of escalating bilateral tensions following the Pulwama terror attack by a suicide bomber of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed on February 14.

India cancelled the second round of talks, which were initially scheduled on April 2, after Pakistan nominated Khalistani separatist Gopal Singh Chawla in a 10-member Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhik Committee (PSGPC).

Pakistan dropped Chawla from its team which held talks with India on Sunday after New Delhi objected to the presence of Khalistani separatists in the committee which would facilitate Sikh pilgrims after the opening of the corridor. Chawla is the secretary-general of the PSGPC.