Colombo: If one thought the US President Donald Trump would have been more careful after he had to delete the tweet he put out on Sunday stating that the death toll of the Easter attacks in Sri Lanka was “138 million people”, one would be wrong. On Monday, Trump was forced to delete a tweet when he made another error. Trump said that he had spoken over the phone with the President of Sri Lanka after the Easter explosions on Sunday. The truth however is that Trump spoke to the prime minister of the country.

The Easter Sunday explosions killed at least 290 people and left over 500 people injured.

Hogan Gidley, White House spokesperson, issued a statement confirming that Trump called Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe on Monday morning. The US President pledged support to the country, which later declared a state of emergency, and expressed his condolences.

However, in his tweet, Trump not only got the name of the leader wrong, but also the day he made the call. Trump reportedly tweeted stating that he called Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena on Sunday.

"Spoke to President Maithripala Sirisena of Sri Lanka yesterday to inform him that the United States stands by him and his country in the fight against terrorism," Trump’s deleted tweet read.

The US President posted another tweet in which he corrected his earlier one stating that he spoke to Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe of Sri Lanka on Monday morning.

Considering the troubled history that the two Sri Lankan leaders share, this might have upset both of them, but considering the crisis at hand in Sri Lanka, it may well be overshadowed.

Sirisena tried to replace Wickremesinghe as prime minster with Mahinda Rajapaksa, the former president. Many legislators were against this controversial turn of events as Wickremesinghe refused to let go of his post even though Rajapaksa presumed the post and selected ministers. The controversial issue was somehow brought to rest when the Supreme Court stopped Sirisena from trying to dissolve Parliament and Rajapaksa from conducting official business. Wickremesinghe was later sworn-in as prime minister once again.