The 28-year-old accused Brenton Harrison Tarrant live streamed the entire attack, where he was seen firing indiscriminately at Muslim worshippers in a mosque at Christchurch as they screamed and ran for help
Christchurch: The main suspect in the Christchurch mosque attack, that killed 49 people and injured dozens, appeared before a local court on March 16. He has been charged with one count of murder.
The 28-year-old accused Brenton Harrison Tarrant live streamed the entire attack, where he was seen firing indiscriminately at Muslim worshippers as they screamed and ran for help.
According to reports, he appeared before the judge wearing white prison suit and smirked at the media persons when they photographed him. He was also seen making the white power gesture.
Tarrant didn’t say remained silent throughout the hearing. His court-appointed lawyer also made no application for bail or name suppression.
Who is Harrison Tarrant?
1. The Australian citizen, travelled the world and obtained his firearms legally.
2. Tarrant live streamed the entire incident on Facebook. His family, who were at that point in the northern New South Wales town of Grafton watched the barbaric act.
3. The family even called Australian authorities and offered their assistance with investigations.
4. According to reports, Tarrant didn’t spend much time in Australia in the past 4 years. He was didn’t have any criminal records, expect some minor traffic infringements.
5. Before the shooting, he posted a 73-page manifesto posted online where he described himself as a kid from a low-income family “…who decided to take a stand to ensure a future for my people”.
6. Tarrant later said that he carried out the attack to “directly reduce immigration rates to European lands”.
7. By profession, he was a student at the local high school. He also worked in a gym. His former boss said that he even regularly volunteered to train kids for free.
8. His friends speculate that after his father died of cancer in 2010, he went on a seven-year trip around the world and probably got radicalised there.
Last Updated 6:33 PM IST