Fire broke out at around 7 PM in Family Plastics on October 31. People in Thiruvananthapuram were panic-stricken as the warehouse contained inflammable raw materials, including petroleum products.
Thiruvananthapuram: Fire broke out at a plastic manufacturing unit of the company, Family Plastic, in the Manvila area of Thiruvananthapuram on Wednesday. The incident happened at around 7 PM.
People residing in the nearby areas were evacuated immediately. People were warned by the district administration through an announcement during the night and they were directed to evacuate from the place.
Experts said that the poisonous gas is likely to stay in the air for at least one week. It is reported that the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the godown. The fire force reached the spot almost immediately and started dousing it. No casualty has been reported in the accident.
There are reports that the same warehouse had caught fire two days ago as well. 18-year old Jayaram Raghu was admitted to the Thiruvananthapuram Medical College immediately. His condition turned severe after breathing the poisonous gas. Several fire engines from the airport have been called to douse the fire.
District collector Dr K Vasuki declared it a holiday for the educational institutions in Manvilla and Kulathoor wards on November 1. God's own country celebrates the 62nd anniversary of its formation on November 1, 2018. Kerala formation is also known as Kerala Piravi. The state was officially formed on the same day in 1956.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Nov 1, 2018, 11:58 AM IST