Thiruvananthapuram: Actor-Rajya Sabha MP Suresh Gopi promised to help late Sanal's family, who are currently debt-ridden (around Rs 35 lakh loan is yet to be cleared).

The family of electrician Sanal Kumar, who was allegedly pushed to death by Neyyattinkara's deputy superintendant of police in a case of road rage on November 5, had started an indefinite strike in front of the secretariat on November 10.

Also read: Sabarimala: Kerala debates if Bindu is Ayyappa devotee or naxalite

Viji, Sanal's wife, with her two children and her mother were protesting in front of the secretariat in Thiruvananthapuram for the past 16 days. The family told the media that the state government had earlier assured Viji a government job along with compensation.

But, till now the government has apparently not kept its promise. Hence, they decided to protest in front of the secretariat. They also said that they would continue the protest until they get justice from the Pinarayi Vijayan government.

MP Suresh Gopi later met Viji and assured help. Viji was about to start a hunger strike today with her family in front of the secretariat.

The ministers, who came to Sanal's home last month, had assured financial help and job to Viji. Though minister Kadakampally Surendran had assured the family of required help, all procedures in this regard were delayed, following the death of the accused DySP Harikumar, who allegedly committed suicide.

According to reports, one of the main reasons for the protest is that Sanal’s debt-ridden family is going through a tough time. Also, the family said that they are in danger of losing their house as they have defaulted on the repayment of loan.

On the night of November 5, Harikumar allegedly got into an altercation with Sanal over parking the vehicle on the road, following which the police officer reportedly pushed him. Sanal fell on the road and was crushed to death by a speeding vehicle.

On November 12, the DySP committed suicide by hanging to death at his house in Kallambalam. Harikumar had been absconding soon after the alleged murder and later his body was found in his house. Harikumar was last seen arriving at his house on November 12 at around 4 pm.