11 dead, 82 hospitalised after consuming prasad at Karnataka temple
15, Dec 2018, 11:26 AM IST
Chamarajanagar: At least 11 people including two children died and 82 were hospitalised after consuming prasad (holy offering) at a temple in Sulivadi village in Chamarajanagar district, Karnataka. The food was suspected to have contained pesticide. On Friday morning, the prasad was distributed after a puja at the Maramma temple. Also, several crows died on the spot after eating the contaminated food. Karnataka chief minister HD Kumaraswamy said the principal secretary and commissioner have instructed district health officials of Mandya and Mysore to provide all possible help. According to reports, two groups had a dispute and one of them could have poisoned the food. The police have arrested two people and are investigating.