New Delhi: The doctors scanning Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman have given a clean chit that he was not injected with any ‘spying’ bug. However, the detailed MRI scan of Abhinandan’s body showed that there are injuries in his lower spine and ribs.

According to the sources, a detailed scan of Abhinandan’s body, which is a part of debriefing, was done and no bug was found. As per the laid down defence procedures, it is important for the forces to debrief an officer who has come back from a stressful and militarily hostile ambiance.

The purpose of debriefing is to investigate the condition of the officer, which is generally conducted by senior officers and defence medical officers. This process also helps the forces to offer required support to the officer and prevent further stress to him/her. 

Also read: Abhinandan shot down F-16, swallowed documents, raised India slogans before capture: Reports

Sources told MyNation that the MRI scan has shown that there are injuries in his lower spine, which probably happened when ejected from his MiG-21 after the dogfight with Pakistan Air Force (PAF) F-16.

Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman crash landed in Pakistan after he shot down the F-16 jet. He was captured by Pakistani army on February 27.

Medical officials said that Abhinandan has also got injuries on his ribs, probably a result of the Pakistani mob attacking him. The video of Abhinandan also surfaced, which showed him with a swollen face and heavily bleeding from his nose.

Also read: Abhinandan Varthaman to undergo debriefing on return: An explanation of the process

The officer will undergo more check-ups and treatment at the Research and Referral Hospital in Delhi Cantonment for the next 10 days.

It is expected that Varthaman can start flying jets in the next four to six months.

On Saturday, reports suggest that Varthaman has told officials that though he was not physically tortured by Pakistan officials, he went through a lot of mental harassment in their custody. Varthaman, who was brought to Delhi after Pakistan released him through the Attari-Wagah border on Friday night, underwent a series of medical tests as part of a "cooling down" process, officials said.