The PRO of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) claimed that so far 13 people — six males, four females and three children have been declared dead
Mumbai: A day after a century-old building collapsed in Mumbai's congested Dongri locality, the NDRF said on Wednesday (July 17) that the death toll in the tragedy had risen to 13 even as the search and rescue operations are continuing at the site.
"So far, 13 people, including six males, four females and three children have been declared dead, while nine have got injuries and getting medical treatment," Sachidanand Gawde, the PRO of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) battalion, told PTI.
Gawde said the search and rescue operations continued the whole night and were still on.
"It (search and rescue operations) would go on till the last piece of debris is removed from the spot," he said.
According to reports, it is alleged that few customers, at an eatery situated in the ground floor are still stuck in the debris and no one knows the exact numbers.
Mumbai fire brigade chief PS Rahangdale, in a statement said that two kids (one aged between six and eight and the other aged about four) were rescued from under the debris by the firefighters.
"Both kids were rushed to Sir JJ hospital, but they were declared dead," Rahangdale said, adding one fireman was also injured in the line of duty.
An official from the BMC disaster management cell said that three more bodies were recovered from under the debris early on Wednesday (July 17) morning, and had been sent to a nearby hospital and further claimed that the death toll is likely to rise in the future.
Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured in the incident. All medical expenses of the injured would be borne by the Maharashtra government.
The NDRF officials are also using sniffer dogs to locate and rescue people from under the debris.
Last Updated 1:57 PM IST