Forbes has announced the list of top-100 highest paid athletes in the world for the year 2020. Virat Kohli is the lone cricketer in it
Bengaluru: India captain Virat Kohli is the lone cricketer in the Forbes’ top-100 highest paid athletes list for the year 2020. Swiss tennis great Roger Federer has claimed the top position.
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, global athletes’ earnings have dipped, according to the Forbes magazine.
“The 100 highest-paid athletes earned a combined $3.6 billion this year, which is 9% below 2019 and the first decline since 2016, when boxers Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao skewed the results with a $400 million payout from their May 2015 ‘Fight of the Century’ pay-per-view bout,” Forbes said.
The list is dominated by basketball players. Kohli is at 66th position. He has gained 30 places from last year.
Also read: Full schedule of India-Australia Test series
Sports-wise break-up in the top-100 list: Basketball: 35; Football: 31; Soccer: 14; Tennis: 6; Boxing/MMA: 5; Golf: 4; Racing 3; Baseball: 1; Cricket: 1.
Here are the top-10 highest paid athletes in the world 2020
1. Roger Federer (Tennis) ($106.3 million earnings)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Football) ($105 m)
3. Lionel Messi (Football) ($104m)
4. Neymar (Football) ($95.5m)
5. LeBron James (Basketball) ($88.2m)
6. Stephen Curry (Basketball) ($74.4m)
7. Kevin Durant (Basketball) ($63.9m)
8. Tiger Woods (Golf) ($62.3m)
9. Kirk Cousins (American Football) ($60.5m)
10. Carson Wentz (American Football) ($59.1m)
66. Virat Kohli (Cricket) ($26 million earnings; Endorsements: $24m; Salary/winnings: $2m)
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated May 30, 2020, 2:21 PM IST