Amitabh Bachchan is a tuberculosis survivor and a hepatitis B survivor. The Bollywood superstar said that he is functioning only on 25% of his liver.
Mumbai: 73-year-old Amitabh Bachchan is often seen talking about his health issues in public. Recently he was seen in NDTV's Swasth India launch where he surprised all his fans when he said that 75% of his liver is damaged and he is still surviving on the remaining 25%.
According to NDTV report, Big B was quoted saying, "I keep quoting my personal example all the time and try and propagate the idea of getting yourself detected and I don't mind saying this publicly. I am a tuberculosis survivor, hepatitis B survivor... Bad blood infusion went in and 75% of my liver is gone but because I was able to detect it even after a period of 20 years, I am still surviving on 25%."
Amitabh Bachchan also urged people to get examined and diagnosed on time so one can start with the treatment as soon as possible. The Badla actor has been linked with various health campaigns like polio, hepatitis B, tuberculosis and diabetes.
Importance of diagnosis at an early stage:
Amitabh, husband of Jaya Bachchan, said that only with diagnosis was it possible to find a cure. "I did not know for almost 8 years I was suffering from tuberculosis. I keep saying that with immodesty if it can happen to me (it can happen) to anyone. Therefore if you are not willing to get yourself tested then you would never find out and there's never going to be a cure for it," he added.
What caused the liver damage:
In a video by UNICEF, Amitabh revealed that his liver was damaged because he received blood from a hepatitis B-infected person when he met with an accident on the sets of Coolie. During his treatment, he required 60 units of blood in which one of the units was infected.
When Amitabh Bachchan was diagnosed with tuberculosis:In 2016, Amitabh was interviewed by PTI where he discussed about his illness. He was diagnosed with tuberculosis in 2000 when he was hosting Kaun Banega Crorepati. "It's very uncomfortable. You cannot sit or lie down. Most of the time, I was on 8-10 pain killers a day just to survive the period when I was anchoring the game show."
Currently, Big B has Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy, Brahmastra, Chehre and Gulabo Sitabo in his kitty.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Aug 22, 2019, 6:22 PM IST