Jammu: The Indian security forces tasted big and swift success, apprehending the main accused in the Jammu bus stand blast on Thursday. 

During preliminary interrogation, the accused revealed that he was tasked to throw the grenade by the Kulgam commander of terrorist organisation Hizbul Mujahideen.

The accused has been identified as Yasir Bhatt, alias Arhan, who was a resident of Khanpur Dase. 

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor
Main accused Yasir Javed Bhatt, alias Arhan

Inspector general of police (IGP), Jammu, MK Sinha, who is heading the investigation said in a media briefing that the SDPO Nagrota and SHO Nagrota were part of the team that apprehended the bomber.  

“Preliminary investigation suggested that the suspect lobbed the grenade in the bus stand area around noon, causing the explosion,” Sinha said.

Also read: Grenade explosion at Jammu bus stand kills teen, injures 30

A grenade explosion at the main bus stand in Jammu on Thursday killed a teenager and injured at least 30 people, including bus drivers and conductors. 

The victims were rushed to a nearby hospital and the doctors there said that five of them were critical. 

A 17-year-old, identified as Mohammad Sharik, died after receiving splinter injuries in the chest.

After accessing the CCTV footage and questioning eyewitnesses, Jammu and Kashmir Police zeroed in on a youth wearing jeans jacket and carrying a red rucksack. 

All police posts were immediately notified and the accused was nabbed while he was going out of Jammu. 

Following the blast, the area was cordoned off and sniffer dogs were brought in.

ANI quoted an eyewitness as saying, "I thought it was a tyre burst. It was a big blast. The locals took the injured to the hospital in an ambulance.”

The Union minister of state for defence, Subhash Bhamre, condemned the attack and said an investigation is underway. 

“Investigation has been initiated into the incident. The government has already given complete liberty to the forces to take all necessary steps,” Bhamre said.

It is likely that the case would be transferred to the National Investigation Agency (NIA). Police have beefed up security in the area as more attacks could take place in the next 48 hours.