Pathanamthitta: Two women, who started to trek towards Sabarimala on Monday, have returned without having darshan at the temple. Koyilandy native Bindu and Malappuram native Kanakadurga attempted to visit the famous shrine in Kerala. 

Also read: Sabarimala: Protests force Manithi group’s 11 women to return without darshan

While the women said that they would not return without darshan at Sabarimala, the police had to take them back due to security issues. Bindu said that they would trek to the temple since the cops had promised to escort them to the Sannidhanam. Those who are staging protests are violating the law, said Bindu.

Meanwhile, Devaswom minister Kadakampally Surendran said that the women devotees would have to return from Sabarimala. "Some devotees are agitated. Therefore, the police are trying to make the women understand that their attempt to visit the temple is not safe. The women are adamant. They said that they do not need protection. However, the police have the responsibility to ensure safety of women,” said the minister.

Huge protests were witnessed at Chandranandan road when several protesters blocked these women. However, the women are standing their ground claiming that they are not interested to go back. 

The police are trying to bring the women devotees back to avoid any untoward incident. If a clash occurs there, it will affect innocent devotees, police sources said. 

The minister also clarified that he had not changed his stand about the observation committee appointed by the high court. Kerala high court appointed the committee to evaluate the situation at Sabarimala. The committee includes two judges and one IPS officer. They will give directions to the Devaswom board.

Earlier, Tamil Nadu’s Manithi team’s women, who moved towards the Sannidhanam to have a darshan on December 23 at Sabarimala had to return after huge protests. They had to withdraw their decision to enter the famous shrine after protesters chanting Ayyappa mantra surrounded them. The 11 women were shifted to Pampa Ganapathy temple and were later taken to a safe place.