National Girl Child Day is celebrated every year on January 24 to highlight the inequalities faced by the girl child and promote awareness about their rights, education and healthcare
New Delhi: The National Girl Child Day is going to be observed at Pravasi Bharti Kendra in Delhi today with the theme of "Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow", according to an official statement.
National Girl Child Day is celebrated every year on January 24 to highlight the inequalities faced by the girl child and promote awareness about their rights, education and healthcare. The day was first initiated by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in 2008.
Objectives of the National Girl Child Day
- To increase awareness among the people and offer girl child with new opportunities.
- To ensure every girl enjoys all the human rights.
- To increase awareness regarding gender inequality.
- To address girl child issues.
- To get rid of all the inequalities faced by women in society.
Today also marks the fourth anniversary of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (Save the daughter, educate the daughter) campaign.
It aims to generate awareness and improve the efficiency of welfare services intended for girls.
It mainly targets the clusters in Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Bihar and Delhi.
The objectives of this initiative are
- Prevention of gender-biased sex-selective elimination
- Ensuring survival and protection of the girl child
- Ensuring education and participation of the girl child
The BJP had formed a national executive committee to promote Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) across the country. The campaign is also supported by the Indian Medical Association.
The Government of India has introduced various schemes and steps to ensure every girl child enjoys a better life.
- Using ultrasound tests for gender discrimination is illegal in India.
- Girl child marriages have been restricted.
- ‘Save the Girl Child’ has been introduced by the government.
- Established open learning system for girls belonging to backward classes does not face any issues.
- Various self-help groups have been introduced by the government to ensure a better livelihood for girls in rural areas.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Jan 24, 2019, 1:15 PM IST