Addressing a mega rally in Jagdalpur, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a scathing attack on the Congress over supporting urban naxals
New Delhi: Ahead of the Chhattisgarh Assembly elections on November 12, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed a public meeting in Bastar district’s headquarters, Jagdalpur. PM Modi attacked the Congress over urban naxals. He said, "Urban naxals live in air-conditioned surroundings, move around in big cars and their children study abroad, but they ruin the lives of our poor Adivasi youth here through remote control. Why is Congress supporting these urban naxals?"
Prime Minister Modi and Congress president Rahul Gandhi kick-started the election campaign in Chhattisgarh today.
The Chhattisgarh Assembly elections’ first phase on November 12 will see 18 seats of eight naxal-affected districts going to poll.
Addressing a mega rally in Bastar district’s headquarters Jagdalpur, PM Modi launched a scathing attack on the Congress and also spoke about Chhattisgarh’s development over the years.
Here’s what the Prime Minister said:
- Speaking about the naxal menace in the state, PM Modi said, "Children who should be holding pens are forced to hold guns, that is the monstrous mentality of naxals. Urban naxals live in air-conditioned houses, they create an aura and their children are educated in foreign universities. But through remote system, they destroy the lives of Adivasi children."
- Addressing women voters on Bhai Dooj, the PM said, "On the occasion of Bhai Dooj, I have come to ask something from you. I have come to fulfil my responsibilities. I have come forward with new proposals for development. To ensure a bright future for the upcoming generation, we are trying to fight hunger and poverty. This is our duty since you have entrusted upon us the responsibility of solving your problems and fulfilling your dreams”.
- "Elections would be held earlier too and governments would also be formed. But they have always remained self-centered. All sorts of discrimination must come to an end, keeping in mind Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas," the PM said.
- "Chhattisgarh has turned 18. Now, the requirements of the state are different. The parents of an 18-year-old also have to alter their budget when he/she turns 18. Now, even the government sitting in Delhi is working to fulfil the dreams of this 18-year-old Chhattisgarh."
- PM Modi urged the people of Bastar to teach a fitting lesson to the Congress leaders, ‘who on one hand try to shield the urban naxals, and in Chhattisgarh, they speak about freeing the state from naxals’.
- On Chhattisgarh’s development, he said, "When Chhattisgarh was a part of Madhya Pradesh, Atal Bihari Vajpayee observed that even when Congress ruled Madhya Pradesh for years, people had to go hungry in this region. For this purpose, Atal Bihari Vajpayee created a separate state of Chhattisgarh”.
- Lashing out at the Congress, he said, "For 10 years, Congress was at the Centre, but they never paid attention to the needs of Chhattisgarh and blocked all development for the state. They never thought of the region's progress”.
- PM Modi also said that when CM Raman Singh was in power for 10 years, the central government headed by Congress conspired to ensure no development took place in Chhattisgarh. "When we asked about development in the state, we were told that there cannot be any development as the areas are under naxals’ control but we decided to take development to these areas," he said.
- "Dalits, backward classes and poor are a treasure for the Congress party. It is because of BJP's thinking that the lower strata of the society is given special attention and brought to the level of others. However, the Congress would make fun of the tribal population."
- PM Modi condemned the murder of Doordarshan video journalists by Maoists in Dantewada. He said, 'You must have seen that recently, people connected to our journalism world, a Doordarshan cameraman who was trying to bring out the voice of the people lost his life. He was killed by the Maoists. What was his crime? He was here for you, he did not come here with a gun but a camera. Two days ago, five of our jawans were martyred. These Maoists kill innocent people and Congress leaders call them revolutionaries, is this acceptable?'
Last Updated 1:49 PM IST