In Madhya Pradesh, while the BJP is eyeing a fourth straight term in office, the Congress is hoping for a comeback in the state which was once its stronghold
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh has concluded its voting for all 230 constituencies of the state. According to election officials, the total voter turnout was 74.61%.
In Madhya Pradesh, while the BJP is eyeing a fourth straight term in office, the Congress is hoping for a comeback in the state which was once its stronghold.
Here are some highlights from the day:
1. Firing was reported near polling booth number 72 in Bhind Assembly constituency and three people have been arrested. However, no one was injured in the incident.
2. A polling agent of the Congress candidate in Mehgaon Assembly constituency, identified as Pradeep Singh Bhadauria, was seriously injured after he was shot at. Bhadauria was rushed to a hospital in Gwalior.
3. Three election officials died of cardiac arrest while on duty in Madhya Pradesh, news agency ANI reported. The Election Commission announced Rs 10 lakh compensation for families of the officials.
4. Faulty EVMs, VVPAT machines cause glitches. Many people had to return home.
5. Senior Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia requested the Election Commission to immediately take notice of faulty voting machines and ensure polling in a "fair manner without any hurdles".
6. Election body chief OP Rawat said, “There are provisions for the extension of time. The local officers can take the call as they see fit. The matter does not need to be handled by the commission.”
7. Congress leader Kamal Nath allegedly showed his party's symbol just after casting his votes in Chindwara, Madhya Pradesh.
8. Reports suggest that Nath showed his palm, the election symbol of Congress party, while casting his vote.
9. Defending his actions, Nath said: "I had already cast my vote. When people asked me when those from media asked me whom I have voted for I showed this (palm). What else could have I done? Show a lotus?"
10. During the first two hours of polling in Madhya Pradesh, 140 complaints of irregularities were received.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 28, Nov 2018, 6:29 PM