Kolkata: A major fire broke out at a garment store in Kolkata’s Gariahat area, destroying multiple shops next to the building, while goods worth lakhs turned into ashes in the blaze. 

The fire at the Traders Assembly Building at Gariahat broke out at around 1 am, and at least 19 fire tenders have been pressed into service to douse the fire.

Fire officials said that the blaze possibly started due to a transformer blast.

"At the moment, the fire has been brought under control. Our men are fighting tooth and nail to douse it. We are yet to find out the exact reason behind the blaze, but preliminary findings show that transformer blast might have led to it," the fire department official added.

According to reports, there was no casualty and no one was injured.

With PTI inputs