Security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Babgund area of the south Kashmir district during the night after inputs of the presence of militants in the area, a police official said
Srinagar: A Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) militant was gunned down by security forces on Saturday in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir. The police have identified the militant as Zahoor Ahmad Thoker.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Babgund area of the south Kashmir district during the night after inputs of the presence of militants in the area, a police official said.
Here are the top highlights:
1. The slain militant has been identified as Zahoor Ahmad Thoker.
2. According to reports, CRPF personnel, army men of 55 RR and SOG of Jammu and Kashmir Police launched a search operation around few houses in Babgund area.
3. The search operation became ugly after the militant fired upon the forces who then retaliated.
4. As a precautionary measure, a curfew has been imposed in the Pulwama town.
5. Some arms and ammunition have been recovered from the encounter site. Currently, the operation has been called off.
6. Zahoor Ahmad Thoke was a territorial Army jawan who decamped with his weapon in July 2017. He was made the top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen. He was first posted at the Engineering Wing of 173 Battalion of the Territorial Army located in the Gantmulla area of Baramulla.
7. Internet services were suspended in the area following the encounter.
With inputs from PTI
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Oct 13, 2018, 1:18 PM IST