Addressing a 'jan abhaar' rally to celebrate one year of the Jai Ram Thakur-led BJP government in Himachal Pradesh, PM Modi said he felt great happiness seeing those he worked with, become front-line leaders
Dharamsala: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said that development projects worth Rs 26,000 crore were under way in various sectors in Himachal Pradesh.
Addressing a 'jan abhaar' rally to celebrate one year of the Jai Ram Thakur-led BJP government in Himachal Pradesh, PM Modi said he felt great happiness seeing those he worked with, become frontline leaders.
"We have changed the coaches of Kalka-Shimla railway and have designed these with transparent sheets so that travellers can feel the nature's beauty. In the transformation of Himachal, tourism and transportation are extremely vital. India is becoming a tourist attraction for the world. In 2013, India received 70 lakh foreign tourists. In 2017, the number increased to 1 crore. In 2013, tourists spent 18 billion dollars. In 2017, it increased to 27 billion dollars. This means all this money also reaches small and medium households," the PM said.
Highlights from the rally
- Regarding the One Rank One Pension scheme, PM Modi said, "For the last 40 years, this country's soldier was demanding for one rank one pension scheme. The then government fooled our soldiers and kept only Rs 500 crore. When we came to power, I called for the file and officers were left stunned. There was nothing. We realised there was Rs 12,000 crore required for it. It's difficult for the government to take out 12,000 crore in one go. I called soldiers, asked them that I'll give it in 4-5 installments. Today I am happy, we gave it in four installments and my soldiers have received the money."
- He described Himachal Pradesh as the land of brave soldiers who were ever ready to make supreme sacrifices at the border.
- Congratulating Thakur on completing one year as chief minister, PM Modi said, "Himachal Pradesh is like my home. I worked here for several years for the party's organisational work."
- PM Modi said, "During the previous government, Himachal used to get 21,000 crore, but when the BJP government came to power, I was given a chance to serve you all. Himachal is being given 72k crore rupees. It has only become possible because the Government of India believes that each and every penny from this penny will be spent by the HP government judiciously in the state's development."
- The Prime Minister will release a booklet on the achievements of the BJP government.
- PM Modi went through an exhibition put up by the state government to showcase the benefits of state and Centre-sponsored schemes for the general public.
- The Prime Minister was welcomed by the chief minister, former chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, Kangra BJP MP Shanta Kumar and Union health minister Jagat Prakash Nadda when he reached the helipad in Dharamsala.
- Himachal Pradesh Governor Jagat Prakash Nadda was also present on the occasion.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 27, Dec 2018, 4:05 PM