Saumitra Khan is the first TMC Lok Sabha MP to have joined the saffron brigade. He resigned on Wednesday and soon headed to the BJP office to call PM Narendra Modi his ‘leader’
New Delhi: “Trinamool Congress has become a party of pishi (aunt) and bhaipo (nephew)”, were the words of TMC turncoat and Member of Parliament Saumitra Khan, soon after officially joining the BJP at 6A Deen Dayal Upadhaya Marg, the BJP’s headquarter in Delhi.
Khan, who is an MP from Bengal’s Bishnupur, resigned on Wednesday and soon headed to the BJP office to call PM Narendra Modi his ‘leader’.
Who is Saumitra Khan?
- He is the first TMC Lok Sabha MP to have joined the saffron brigade. Mukul Roy joined the BJP earlier, who represented the TMC in Rajya Sabha.
- Khan has a history of ditching parties. In 2014, he left the Congress to fight for TMC.
- Khan earlier shot to fame when he published a controversial post on Facebook, claiming that one has to appease leaders to stay in politics.
- The 38-year-old politician won the first time in Lok Sabha in 2014 from Bishnupur on a TMC ticket.
- Earlier, Khan was a Member of Legislative Assembly as well.
Speaking to MyNation, Khan said, “I was extremely disturbed by the way democracy was being throttled in Bengal. We have seen how panchayat elections were turned into a joke by Mamata Banerjee. Bengal deserves an alternative. That’s why I have joined the BJP.”
That’s another fact: Khan hardly spoke of the ‘democracy at risk’ while he was in TMC.
He joined the BJP in presence of Union minister Dharmendra Pradhan and top Bengal BJP leader Mukul Roy. Arun Singh and Rahul Sinha were also present.
Soon after Khan joined the BJP, his profile has mysteriously disappeared from the AITC website.
Last Updated 6:57 PM IST