Union minister, BJP leader and RSS swayamsevak Ananth Kumar had died in Bengaluru on November 12. The 59-year-old leader had been suffering from lung cancer.
Bengaluru: Dignitaries including prime minister Narendra Modi, BJP national president Amit Shah, leaders Rajnath Singh, Nirmala Sitharaman, Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu and state leaders from all political parties paid their homage to Ananth Kumar.
Ananth Kumar's mortal remains were kept at his residence in Jayanagar on November 12. Mortal remains were kept at BJP officer from 9 AM to 10.30 AM and then shifted to National College Grounds for people to pay their last respect. Later, at 12.30 PM, mortal remains were taken to Chamarajapet for the final rites.
10 facts you must know about Ananth Kumar's final rites:
1) Final rites were performed at Hindu Rudra Bhoomi in Chamarajapet run by Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike
2) Rituals were conducted by chief priest MG Srinath Shastry
3) All rituals were performed, according to Hindu Brahmin tradition
4) Funeral pyre was lit by Ananth Kumar's brother Nanda Kumar
5) 50 kg ghee, 10 kg camphor, cow dung flakes, sandalwood sticks and perfume were placed in the pyre
6) One tonne wood was used for the pyre
7) Ananth Kumar's body was purified with Ganga jal
8) Then it was wrapped with a new white cloth
9) Plantain leaf was placed on the body before the pyre was lit
10) 21 gun salute was accorded to the Central leader
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Nov 13, 2018, 3:58 PM IST