Sources said that CRPF party was deployed on law and order duty at Achabal Chowk when the terrorists laid an ambush. In the attack, three paramilitary troopers and a pedestrian sustained bullet wounds and were taken to nearby Achabal hospital for treatment where one among the critically injured CRPF officer succumbed. 

The deceased have been identified as assistant sub-inspector M L Meena and constable Sandeep Kumar. Two other troopers were meanwhile referred to army’s 92 base hospital Badamibagh, Srinagar. The security forces have sealed entry and exit points to the area and are conducting searches.

Hospital sources at Achabal also confirmed the death of a two CRPF jawan and said that the condition of one among the two injured troopers is serious. The injured civilian has been identified as Ghulam Rasool.

“Today at around 1100 hrs vehicle-borne terrorist fired upon CRPF deployment at Achabal. In the incident, four CRPF personnel were injured, two of whom later succumbed to their injuries. One civilian was also injured in the incident,” said Police spokesperson in a statement. “An FIR has been registered and investigations were taken up,” the statement reads.

In another attack, terrorists attacked a Yaripora police station in South Kashmir’s Kashmir with automatic weapons.

Sources said that group of terrorists attacked the police station, the alert security forces and police guard also retaliated, but the terrorists managed to escape. Additional security forces have been rushed and the entire area has been cordoned off and massive search operation has been launched.

Meanwhile, terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba, in a statement has claimed responsibility for the attack. The attack took place on a day Kashmir is observing a complete shutdown to observe Martyrs Day. 

The call for the shutdown has been given by Kashmir separatists. Restrictions have also been imposed in parts in Srinagar to ensure peace.  The day is also observed as a public holiday in the militancy-hit state. On this day, 22 men were shot dead by soldiers of Kashmir's Dogra ruler outside the Central Jail in Srinagar on July 13, 1931.