Bengaluru: The eight-month-old baby Sagar that was stolen from a visually-impaired couple in Bengaluru was reunited after four days. 

On Tuesday, two Kengeri residents, Parvathamma and Lakshmidevi, brought the child to the police station after they had seen media reports of the missing child and the visually-impaired parents.

Also read: Visually-impaired couple travels to Bengaluru to meet Kumaraswamy, ends up losing child

Parvathamma told the police that an unidentified woman handed over the child to her near a public toilet on April 27. She had said that she would take him back upon returning, but never showed up.

The child went missing in Bengaluru’s Majestic on Saturday when a woman hoodwinked a visually-impaired couple. The couple Basavaraj and BK Chinnu, hail from Arakere village in Devadurga and had come to the city to visit the chief minister seeking financial help. 

Basavaraj is a singer by profession in Raichur and earns his bread by singing in orchestras. During his free time, he also teaches singing. The couple got married three-and-a-half years ago.

It is said that the couple live in abject poverty. Their condition is so bad that they don’t even have a roof above their head. That is precisely the reason why they came to meet HD Kumaraswamy and seek his help. But as fate would have it, their condition has gone from bad to worse.

When they reached Bengaluru, a woman offered to help the child drink water. The unsuspecting couple handed over the child to the woman who later never returned. 

The couple immediately raised an alarm and they were then taken to Upparpet police station.  A special search team was formed and the couple too spent their time looking for their child in an unknown city for four days.

The incident has highlighted the fact that CCTV cameras in public places are either malfunctioning or simply defunct.

The police officer had even told Times of India that they had tried to look at the CCTV footage to get the image of the abductor but were shocked to see that about half the cameras were not working.