The ministry of electronics and information technology had asked Google and Apple to take down Tik Tok after the Madras high court banned the app on April 3.
Bengaluru: Tik Tok has been removed from Google Play Store and Apple Store following direction from the Indian government.
The ministry of electronics and information technology had asked Google and Apple to take down Tik Tok after the Madras high court banned the app on April 3 for "pornographic and inappropriate content".
Business Standard reported that Google in its email had said it does not comment on individual apps, but does adhere to local laws. So, those who have already downloaded the app and are using it will continue to be able to use it. But the new users cannot download it.
Sources said instructions in this regard were sent to the two American companies after the Supreme Court refused to stay the April 3 order of the Madras high court that had directed the Centre to ban Tik Tok app over concerns about access to pornographic content through it.
E-mails sent to Apple and Google did not elicit a response.
The Supreme Court had earlier said the ban directive was just an interim order and that the high court was scheduled to hear the matter on April 16.
In its April 3 order, the Madras high court said it was evident from media reports that pornography and inappropriate content were made available through such mobile applications. It had also directed the media not to telecast video clips made with Tik Tok.
The app, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, allows users to create short videos and then share them.
In a statement on Tuesday, Tik Tok said it has faith in the Indian judiciary.
"We are optimistic about an outcome that would allow over 120 million monthly active users in India to continue using Tik Tok to showcase their creativity and capture moments that matter in their everyday lives," it said.
(With PTI inputs)
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 17, Apr 2019, 1:39 PM