Thiruvananthapuram: The Thiruvananthapuram University College will reopen tomorrow (July 22) after 10 days. The college was closed after a student named Akhil Chandran was attacked and stabbed by the Student Federation of India (SFI) union members following a verbal duel on July 12.

On July 12, 20-year-old Akhil, who allegedly fought with SFI leaders in the college for singing a song, was stabbed. According to sources, Akhil and SFI leaders in the college engaged in a verbal duel, which escalated and ended up with Akhil being stabbed twice in the chest with a penknife.

Also read: Thiruvananthapuram University College stabbing case: Kerala Governor summons institution's vice-chancellor

Kerala Police have arrested six members of the SFI in connection with the stabbing of Akhil. The accused have been identified as Sivaranjith, Nazeem, Adil, Aromal, Nijab and Advaith.

The Kerala government finally appointed a full-time principal in the Thiruvananthapuram University College after the stabbing incident. The earlier principal K Vishwambharan has been removed from the post after recent violence in the college.

The new principal CC Babu was earlier working as the principal in Thrissur government college.

Meanwhile, Akhil gave his statement to Kerala Police on Wednesday (July 17). He stated that SFI unit president Sivaranjith had stabbed him. He added that party unit secretary Nazeem had held his hands during the incident.

Also read: Thiruvananthapuram University College stabbing case: New principal appointed after violence

Akhil reportedly said, “There was a section of students who did not accept the SFI unit committee of the college. I was one of them. Following this, few members from the unit committee were against them. They asked us not to sing in the campus or enter class. A clash broke out after this. Soon after this, Sivaranjith stabbed me when Nazeem held me.”

The SFI constituted an ad hoc 25-member unit committee in place of the panel that was dissolved in the aftermath of the violent incidents.