Maulana Saad, the organiser of the Tablighi Markaz in New Delhi has been booked for culpable homicide.
Along with this, a lookout notice has been issued to 2000 foreign Tablighi attendees as well.
As reported by Republic TV earlier on, April 8, the Delhi Police had traced Saad, who has been on the run after an FIR had been registered against him for organising a religious gathering last month despite restrictions to combat the coronavirus, sources said. The cleric had been traced to Zakir Nagar in southeast Delhi, sources said. His lawyer Tauseef Khan, however, said Saad is under self-quarantine and will join investigation after his quarantine period is over.
It might be recalled that on March 31, an FIR had been registered against Saad and others for holding the event disrespecting the instructions not to hold such a congregation.
The Markaz event was attended by more than 3500 members from Indonesia, Malaysia and other countries. There were also attendees from other states of India as well.
Around 1500 attendees of the event who left the event went back to their states, possibly spreading the virus to many others.
There are also news reports that the Tablighi attendees paid for food and accommodation to the organisers. The Delhi police are investigating the case.
A few Tablighi attendees from Ethiopia were arrested from Chennai on Monday. They had been staying in Chennai and preaching their religion without relevant permission.
More on the Tablighi event:
On March 22, the much important event, Janata curfew took place. No gatherings were allowed.
A day later, around 1500 vacated the event.
On March 25, there were around 1000 people still in attendance.
A day later, an Indian preacher died in Srinagar. This preacher was a part of the event.
On March 30, there were reports that six of those who attended the event died in Telangana.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal had ordered an FIR be filed against the Maulana for holding an event of this magnitude despite the orders.
Last Updated Apr 15, 2020, 1:51 PM IST