The Kerala high court has said that a CBI investigation is not required in the Shuhaib murder case. Shuhaib was hacked to death at Mattannur in the district on 12 February, 2018
Kochi: The Kerala high court has ordered that CBI investigation is not necessary into Shuhaib murder case. The state government had strongly contended in the court that a CBI inquiry is not necessary and this was accepted by the bench headed by the chief justice of the Kerala high court.
Shuhaib was hacked to death at Mattannur in the district on 12 February 2018. Two other Congress workers Riyas, 28, and Noushad, 36, were also injured in the attack. According to the party, Shuhaib, along with a few others, was waiting in front of an eatery near Mattanur, Kannur when four persons came in a car and threw bombs to create a scary situation. They then slashed him with a sword. 17 persons including former local area secretary K P Prashanth were arrested in the case.
According to sources, Shuhaib's murder was the 21st political murder since the Pinarayi government assumed office on May 2016.
Meanwhile, Shuhaib’s father told the media that his family would continue the fight for justice. Kannur MP and veteran Congress leader Sudhakaran said justice had been denied for the youth. He also wondered as to why CPI(M) was scared of a CBI probe in the case and why CPI(M) brought an advocate from Assam in the Shuhaib murder case. He added that the real culprits have not been arrested yet.
Kerala's director general of police (DGP) Lokanath Behera said that the investigation was going on in the right path. Therefore, the Kerala high court refused a CBI probe in the case. He also said the Kerala Police investigated the case in a professional manner and the culprits will be given proper punishment too.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Aug 2, 2019, 1:47 PM IST