Raichur: It has been five days since the death of 23-year-old engineering student from Raichur, who was allegedly raped and killed. A man named Sudarshan Yadav was arrested on Thursday night in connection with the case. The victim’s parents held a press conference and expressed their doubts on her death being a suicide and spoke about Yadav’s involvement in the alleged crime.

The engineering student went missing on April 13 and her body was found hanging from a tree on April 15, five kms away from her college in Raichur.

Speaking to the media, her parents said that their daughter had been harassed by Sudarshan Yadav for nearly six months. Both Yadav and the victim met each other when they were pursuing a Pre-university course. Their daughter went on to study civil engineering, whereas Sudarshan allegedly did not continue his studies. However, both stayed in touch with each other. About six months ago they had a fight and the victim stopped talking to him.

“He had been harassing her and regularly stalked her,” the victim's mother Rukmini Devi said. Their daughter was regularly accompanied by her father as she was scared of being harassed by Yadav,” she added.

On the day she went missing (April 13), her parents rushed to Sadar Bazar Police Station in the evening to file a missing complaint. But police did not take their case seriously. Devi alleged that Sudarshan's uncle was a writer at the station and influenced others not to take up the case seriously.

The victim would have celebrated her birthday on April 16.

Furthermore, reports claim that the place where the victim's body was found hanging belonged to Sudarshan Yadav's father.

Initially, her death was said to be a suicide after a note was found beside her body. But her parents and college-mates staged intense protests stating that she was not worried about failing the exams as mentioned in the (poorly drafted) alleged suicide letter. They said she was good at studies.

ALSO READ: Raichur girl’s death: 5 reasons why suicide note looks fake