The additional district sessions judge said that the prosecution could not prove that the accused, Vinod and Jitendra, were guilty of robbery during the Muzaffarnagar riots, citing lack of evidence in the case
Muzaffarnagar: Two people accused of robbery during the 2013 communal riots in Muzaffarnagar district were acquitted by a court, which said the prosecution failed to prove they were guilty.
Additional district sessions judge Punam Rajput said the prosecution could not prove that the accused Vinod and Jitendra were guilty, observing there was lack of evidence in the case.
Hashim, a riot victim, had filed a police complaint against several people, alleging they robbed his house at Phugana village during the riots on September 8, 2013, the prosecution said. The Special Investigation Team probing the riots cases had filed a chargesheet against the two people under section 395 of the IPC (punishment for dacoity).
With this, 43 cases, including five of gangrape, have been decided so far and 358 people were acquitted, according to the prosecution.
Seven people were convicted in one case in connection with the killing of two youths Gaurav and Sachin in Kawal village. Police had registered 510 cases and arrested 1,480 people in connection with the riots. After investigation, the SIT filed charge sheets in 175 cases.
In another case related to the riots, a court fixed the hearing for framing of charges against five people accused of killing a youth in Kawal village for August 26.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 11:30 AM IST