Five students of D Devaraj Urs Pre-matric Boys' Residential School were electrocuted as they came into contact with a livewire while they were attempting to take down a flagpole used for Independence Day celebrations
Bengaluru: Five high school students were electrocuted while trying to remove a flagpole erected for the Independence Day celebrations at their government-run hostel in Koppal as they came in contact with an overhead power line, police said.
Two students were electrocuted first as they came in contact with adjacent power line while attempting to remove the flagpole from the first floor of the hostel building.
Three other students rushed to save the two but all of them died, police said.
Chief minister BS Yediyurappa ordered a probe into the tragic incident and announced a relief of Rs 5 lakh each to the kin of the deceased.
The hostel was being run at a private building on a rental basis, and all the five were studying in high schools in the district headquarters town, about 350 km from here.
The pole had been erected on the first floor of the hostel building to hoist the national flag.
Police said they have registered a case and were likely to take legal action against the owner of the building, warden of the hostel and local electricity supply company officials.
Speaking to reporters here, Yediyurappa said, "I have ordered a probe into the death of five students due to electrocution in Koppal. I have ordered the district deputy commissioner to give Rs 5 lakh to each family as compensation
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Aug 18, 2019, 3:18 PM IST