India has unveiled a new education policy after 34 years
Bengaluru: India has unveiled a new education policy after 34 years.
It is called the National Education Policy 2020. It allows a higher flexibility in higher education and renames the Union Human Resource Development Ministry to the Ministry of Education.
Here are the key points announced for Higher Education:
- Aim to increase the gross enrolment ratio to 50% by 2035
- To ensure holistic, and multidisciplinary education through the flexibility of subjects in Higher Education
- Multiple entry/exit points to be allowed - UG program: 3 to 4 years, PG Program - 1 to 2 years, Integrated 5 years bachelors/ Master’s programme and M Phil to be discontinued
- Common norms for public and private HEIs which include private philanthropic partnerships and capping fees within broad regulatory framework
- Graded autonomy of academic, administrative and financial institutions
- A single regulator for all higher education working under a self-disclosure based transparent system for approvals in place of numerous 'inspections'
- Public investment in the education sector to reach 6% of GFP at the earliest. Currently, it is around 4.43% including state and central govt.
- E-courses will be developed in regional languages in education planning, teaching, administration and regulation. Virtual labs to digitally equip schools, teachers and students to be created. The e-content to be available in regional languages starting with Kannada, Odia, Bengali, Tamil etc to join Hindi and English
- Standalone Higher Education Institutes and professional education institutes will be evolved into multi-disciplinary education with a National Educational Technology Forum (NETF) to be created
- Emphasis to be placed on Divyang friendly education software
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted his satisfaction over the issue.
He said, “Framing of NEP 2020 will be remembered as a shining example of participative governance. I thank all those who have worked hard in the formulation of the NEP 2020.
May education brighten our nation and lead it to prosperity.”
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Jul 29, 2020, 7:38 PM IST