AKASH MK-1S is an upgraded version of the existing AKASH missile with indigenous technology. This version is a surface to air missile, which can neutralise advanced aerial targets.
New Delhi: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test fired AKASH MK-1S missile from ITR, Chandipur, Odhisa on May 25 and 27 2019.
AKASH MK-1S is an upgraded version of the existing AKASH missile with indigenous technology. The upgraded version is a surface to air missile, which can neutralize advanced aerial targets.
Know all about AKASH MK-1S
1. This is surface to air anti-aircraft missile with a strike range of 25 km and is capable of carrying a warhead of 60 kilograms.
2. It has a launch weight of 720 kg, a diameter of 35 cm and a length of 5.78 metres.
3. It can reach an altitude of 18 km and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms.
4. The missile is guided by a phased array fire control radar called 'Rajendra', which is termed as Battery Level Radar (BLR) with a tracking range of about 60 km.
5. The AKASH MK-1S is capable of striking down enemy fighter jets and drones very effectively and accurately.
6. The surface-to-air missile was designed to intercept enemy aircraft and missiles from a distance of 18 to 30 km.
Last Updated 1:53 PM IST