Here are ten interesting facts about Tihar jail, which is currently housing former Union minister P Chidambaram
Bengaluru: Former Union minister and “kingpin” in INX case, P Chidambaram has been housed in Tihar jail as he was sent to judicial custody.
That being the case, we thought of giving you some interesting facts about this jail.
1. The Department of Delhi Prisons, Government of Delhi takes care of Tihar jail. The prison contains nine central prisons, and is one of the two prison complexes in Delhi, along with a district prison at Rohini Prison Complex.
2. The Tihar jail is the biggest jail in South Asia.
3. Another former Union minister A Raja was also housed at Tihar jail. Interestingly, he had not bed to sleep on nor was he given a sophisticated toilet. To sleep, he used seven blankets. He used two blankets to cover himself, four to sleep on one as a makeshift pillow.
4. The capacity of the Tihar jail is to house 6500 prisoners. But there are over 10,000 prisoners being housed there.
5. TJ’s is a unique brand. It has a variety of products such as bakery products, handloom and textile, apparel and others.
6. Two prisoners, who were housed in the Tihar jail for burglary decided to escape by digging a ten-foot tunnel. While one was caught during the act of escaping, the other successfully managed to escape.
7. Charles Shobhraj, another serial killer known internationally was also housed here. He managed to escape from here in the year 1986, but was successfully nabbed later.
8. Fresher’s Party is a common thing about college students. But here, where a new inmate comes, they are subjected to intense tortures after arrival.
9. When Kiran Bedi was in-charge of the prison, she started the Vipassana mediation for both inmates and staff.
10. There is one more thing that we need to tell. A prisoner form Tihar jail has passed the Indian Administrative Service.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Sep 6, 2019, 4:23 PM IST