Bengaluru: The union home ministry has blacklisted 2,550 foreign Tablighi Jamaat members who were staying in India during the nationwide coronavirus lockdown in violation of visa rules, and they would not be allowed to enter the country for 10 years, officials said on Thursday.

Also Read: Tablighis contribute 30% to coronavirus spread

The action has been taken by the home ministry after various state governments provided details of the foreigners who were found to be illegally living in mosques and religious seminaries across the country.

Action against the foreign Tablighi Jamaat members was first taken after over 2,300 people, including 250 foreigners, belonging to the Islamic organisation were found to be living at its headquarters located at Delhi's Nizamuddin. 

Nizamuddin soon after the nation-wide lockdown was announced in March. Several of these members had tested positive for coronavirus.

The lockdown from March 25 was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to combat the coronavirus pandemic. 

More on Tablighi event: 

On March 22, the much important event, Janata curfew took place. No gatherings were allowed.

A day later, around 1500 vacated the event.

On March 25, there were around 1000 people still in attendance.

A day later, an Indian preacher died in Srinagar. This preacher was a part of the event.

On March 30, there were reports that six of those who attended the event died in Telangana.

Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal had ordered an FIR be filed against the Maulana for holding an event of this magnitude despite the orders.

Presently, Maulana Saad, the organiser has been booked under culpable homicide. 

There were also reports that several Tablighi members roamed around the country, spitting at doctors and policemen. There were also reports that a few more Tablighi attendees threw urine-filled bottles and even defecated in front of rooms in the places they were quarantined. 

There were more than 3500 Tablighi members who attended the event. Some of them came from Indonesia and Malaysia as well. 

Incidentally, national security advisor Ajit Doval had gone to pacify the attendees at 2 am.