Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Atal tunnel, the 9.02km long highway tunnel in Himachal Pradesh
Bengaluru: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Atal tunnel, the 9.02km long highway tunnel in Himachal Pradesh.
Built at a cost of Rs 3,200 crores, it passes under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range on the Leh-Manali highway.
It indeed comes as a boon to the people as it cuts down the travel time from Manali Valley to Lahaul and Spiti Valley from 5 hours to just under ten minutes.
More interesting facts about the tunnel:
1. Provide almost all-weather connectivity to Indian Army troops posted in Ladakh.
2. There is a telephone located every 150 metres, a fire hydrant every 60 metres, an emergency exit every half a km, a turning cavern every 2.2 km, a broadcasting system, and CCTV cameras stationed every 250 metres.
3. It is built by Border Roads Organisation.
4. It will have a maximum speed limit of 80km per hour, and is expected to accommodate traffic of up to 1,500 trucks and 3,000 cars per day.
5. It took ten years for the tunnel to be completed.
6. It is the world's longest motorable tunnel, at an altitude of over 3,000 metres.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 3, Oct 2020, 10:51 AM