Cows started collapsing after few hours of consuming fodder, said the staff of the cow shelter in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. Veterinary doctors have been asked to conduct autopsies on the dead cows.
Vijayawada: More than 100 cows were found dead at a private-run gaushala (cow shelter) at Vijawayada in Andhra Pradesh on Friday night.
The cows are said to have died due to poisoning but the exact reason for the death is not known yet.
The incident was reported at a cow shelter at Kothuru Tadepalli. The incident came to light after cows consumed the feed that was given to them by the staff of the cow shelter.
At least 98 cows died on the spot and others are reportedly critical. On the direction of police, veterinary doctors are conducting autopsies.
According to reports, it is suspected that rivalry between two groups among the authorities who run the cow shelter is the reason behind the incident.
The shelter has more than 1000 cows, of which most are rescued from a slaughterhouse, donated by people.
Police are probing the case and questioning staff of the cow shelter after examining CCTV camera footage.
Two years ago, at the same shelter, 24 cows had died after consuming stale fodder. However, no action had been initiated against the owners of the cow shelter.
* Image for representation only
Last Updated 7:58 PM IST