New Delhi: Business tycoon and heir to the Wadia Group Ness Nusli Wadia has been sentenced to a two-year prison term for possessing drugs during his holiday in Japan. A court official in Sapporo told that Wadia admitted to his possession of cannabis and said that the drug was for his personal use, according to reports. 

The business tycoon and great grandson of Pakistan's founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah spent a period in detention before his indictment on March 20. He was also sentenced to an undisclosed period of detention before the court hearing.

The prison sentence of Wadia, who is also the managing director of Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation, has been suspended for five years. 

Wadia was arrested at New Chitose Airport in the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido for carrying 25 g of cannabis resin in early March. 

According to reports, sniffer dogs alerted the customs officials at New Chitose about the drugs in possession of Wadia. A search operation revealed the resins in his trouser pocket.

Ness Wadia was once the joint managing director of Bombay Dyeing, Wadia Group's flagship company. On March 2011, he resigned from the post.

Wadia is a co-owner of the Indian Premier League cricket team Kings XI Punjab, the other owners being his girlfriend of the previous decade, actress Preity Zinta, and businessman Mohit Burman.

After their father, Ness and his younger brother Jehangir Wadia (who now runs both Bombay Dyeing and GoAir), are the only direct descendants of Jinnah and his family.

Ness Wadia: Not his first brush with law

Last year, Wadia made headlines after the Bombay High Court on Wednesday quashed a 2014 case lodged by city police against him for allegedly outraging the modesty of Bollywood actor Preity Zinta. Both Zinta and Wadia along with their lawyers had appeared that year before a division bench of justices Ranjit More and Bharti Dangre in the judges' chamber.

Also read: Preity Zinta molestation case quashed by Bombay High Court as actor, Ness Wadia settle matter

"The case against Ness has been quashed. We have been told by the court not to divulge anything more," Wadia's lawyer Aabad Ponda said later.