Bohemian Rhapsody, a celebration of Queen lead singer, Freddie Mercury’s life.
The much-awaited biopic of Queen lead singer- Freddie Mercury, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ released in India today. The screenplay for the movie is written by Antony McCarten, with Rami Malek playing the lead role. The film has received mixed reviews from critics for its portrayal of Mercury’s sexuality and of other band members.
The movie follows through the life of Mercury from his days in London and ends with the infamous Live Aid performance.
In India, Freddie Mercury has grown to become one of the first queer icons. In a recent interview, his childhood friend Bruce Murray said that his childhood friends from St. Paul’s and all boys’ school in Panchgani did not know that the flamboyant lead singer and songwriter of Queen, Freddie Mercury, was the same shy, introverted, ‘Bucky’ from school.
- Here are some interesting facts about the movie and Freddie Mercury:
- The movie is a joint venture between British and American production houses- 20th Century Fox, New Regency, GK Films and Queen Films. Fox is the official distributor.
- Freddie Mercury’s actual name is Farrokh Bulsara. He was born into a Parsi family from Gujarat. However, he also held British citizenship.
- He was 12 years old when he joined a school band with friend Bruce Murray called the Hectics.
- Queen Elizabeth honoured the band Queen in 1999 by releasing a postage stamp on them.
- The title of the movie is named after the famous track of the same name as the band. Mercury started writing the song in 1968 and finally released it in 1977.
- The track Bohemian Rhapsody is famously called the Bo Rhap and has the world’s longest running fan club for a rock band according to Guinness World Records.
- The track has spent 26 years on the UK album chart.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Nov 16, 2018, 6:18 PM IST