This week’s Bollywood release, Soorma, is a biopic based on ace hockey player Sandeep Singh that takes you on an emotional rollercoaster.
Popular Punjabi singer-turned-actor Diljit Dosanjh has stepped into the shoes of Sandeep and Taapsee Pannu is his love interest and a hockey player, too.
The movie doesn't have any big names but has a good cast with Angad Bedi, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Siddharth Shukla and others. The movie is about Sandeep's life when he was paralysed below the waist for a year after being shot accidentally on the Shatabdi Express train in 2006, and how he bounced back to stand on his feet again and went on to captain India. Later Sandeep was popularly called “Flicker Singh”.
Here are five reasons why you should watch Soorma:
1. Diljit Dosanjh: The Punjabi sensation is going places in Hindi cinema from singing to stage performances to acting. The audiences loved his Bollywood movies such as Phillauri with Anushka Sharma, and Udta Punjab with Kareena Kapoor, where he played one of the lead actors. In Soorma, Diljit has adapted the hockey player's body language and even his world-famous drag-flickers. Thumbs up for our Sardarji.
2. Taapsee Pannu: The bubbly actress is on a roll. In 2018, she is seen in back-to-back movies and now she is starring in Soorma as the love interest of Sandeep, which will be one layer of the player’s life. In the movie, she is also a hockey player with the Indian women’s team. Taapsee is an excellent actor and she proved herself in films like Pink, Naam Shabana, and Baby.
3. Shaad Ali: The movie’s director has given us Bollywood hits such as Guru, Saathiya, Raavanan, Dil Se and Ok Jaanu last year. So we have full confidence that he will show the life of a top-class hockey player on the silver-screen splendidly, one who made the nation proud.
4. Trailer and songs: The trailer and the songs of the movie have received positive reviews from the movie-goers. The trailer begins with Sandeep's childhood struggles with the sport and his coach, later in his teens he falls in love with Taapsee's character Harpreet and starts playing the game to woo her. The trailer soon takes a serious tone where we see Sandeep getting shot by a bullet and later how he becomes a successful athlete. The songs are very emotional and have “Desh Bhakti” and some romance too.
5. Biopics: Biopics based on sports players have always been inspiring and impactful, if we are to remember M.S Dhoni: The Untold Story, Dangal, Azhar, Mary Kom, Bhaag
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 12, Jul 2018, 2:07 PM