After reports claimed that Shikhar Dhawan will be out of action for three weeks at the ICC World Cup, BCCI clarified that the opener will be under observation
London: India were dealt a huge blow as opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan was ruled out for three weeks of the ongoing ICC World Cup 2019 after sustaining a thumb injury against Australia on Sunday (June 9), TV reports claimed on Tuesday (June 11). However, later in the day, BCCI said he will be under observation and no replacement was sought at this stage.
Reports said that Dhawan would take three weeks to get fit after fracturing his left thumb. The left-hander scored a century against Australia, batting through the pain barrier at the Oval in London. He was hit on the thumb by a Pat Cummins delivery.
So far, India have won two out of two matches, against South Africa and Australia. Rohit Sharma had scored a century against the Proteas. With Shikhar ruled out, KL Rahul is set to open with Rohit. India next face New Zealand on June 13 followed by Pakistan on Sunday (June 16).
Team India opening batsman Mr Shikhar Dhawan is presently under the observation of the BCCI medical team. The team management has decided that Mr Dhawan will continue to be in England and his progress will be monitored. #TeamIndia pic.twitter.com/8f1RelCsXf— BCCI (@BCCI) June 11, 2019
Against,Australia, Shikhar did not come out to field and he was seen in the dressing room holding a ice pack on his injured thumb. Later, he was sent to hospital for scans. Ravindra Jadeja was the substitute fielder in the match which India won by 36 runs.
Last Updated 12:32 PM IST