In what comes as a relief, it has been learnt that the Prime Minister would not be announcing any lockdown in relation to the coronavirus pandemic in his 8 pm speech
Bengaluru: In a few hours from now, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be addressing the nation on the issue of the Coronavirus pandemic.
The nation waits enthusiastically to listen to the Prime Minister in the hope that he would be throwing more light on the infection agent and more preventive/protective measures.
There were also growing concerns that the Prime Minister may announce a lockdown.
But as reported by RepublicTV, there won’t be any such announcement.
The channel also quoted government sources as saying "Some media outlets are speculating that PM Modi will announce a lockdown in his address. This information is absolutely incorrect. Such speculation creates unnecessary panic in the minds of people, which is the last thing we need in times like this."
Now that should certainly come as a relief. This also means the PM will probably focus on announcing more relief measures and also give reassurance to the people that the government will take all necessary action to curb the spread of the virus.
India continues to bring back its citizens from virus-hit areas.
“We are planning to evacuate the next batch of Indians from Italy this weekend, further details are being worked out with the civil aviation ministry,” Dammu Ravi, from MEA said.
• Hotels in Nainital will remain closed till March 31 as a precautionary measure to contain the spread of coronavirus.
• 43 people returning from Pakistan, Dubai quarantined in Amritsar.
• In a fresh set of advisories, the government banned all mass gatherings and closed off Kolkata's Digha beach.
• The Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, gives the government power to take special measures and prescribe regulations in the interest of preventing dangerous epidemic disease.
• Sri Lanka earlier this week banned all incoming flights for two weeks, and imposed a curfew in some areas to rein in the spread of the disease, and will now postpone their parliamentary elections.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 6:08 PM IST