In the first major display of cracks developing in the NCP-Shiva Sena ranks, senior leader Sharad Pawar has expressed his unhappiness over CM Uddhav Thackeray consenting to NIA taking over the investigation of the Elgar Parishad case
Bengaluru: Ever since the Shiva Sena joined hands with the NCP, to form the government in Maharashtra, it has not been a smooth ride.
In the latest episode of NCP and Shiva Sena at loggerheads, CM Uddhav Thackeray’s decision to give his consent for NIA probing the Elgar Parishad case has not gone down well with Sharad Pawar.
Senior leader Sharad Pawar expressed his unhappiness over the move. He said, "It was not proper for the Union Government to take over the investigation from the state government in the first place, and it was not at all proper for the state government to grant consent."
It might be recalled that the Union government has asked NIA to probe the issue.
But on the other hand, Sena spokesperson Neelam Gorhe said, "The CM must have taken the decision in the larger interest of Maharashtra, one should not look for any political point. The CM must have applied his conscience while taking the decision."
This move to hand over the case to NIA comes as a move that is totally contrarian to what Uddhav Thackery had earlier done.
We have compiled a list of how he had bent over backwards while NCP had heaped insults.
1. Rahul Gandhi, the former AICC president, openly informed a gathering that he was not “Rahul Savarkar to apologise” in relation to the “Rape in India” comment. Shiva Sena did express its disappointment, but nothing beyond that.
2. As regards the Citizenship Amendment Bill, the Shiva Sena voted in favour of it in the Lok Sabha, but abstained from voting in the Rajya Sabha. The Congress and NCP are not in favour of the CAA. This move only exposes the Shiva Sena’s hypocrisy.
3. Shiva Sena also compared the CAA protests in Jamia Millia to what had happened during the Jallianwala Bagh.
4. Then, in what came as the last nail in the coffin, Uddhav Thackeray even compared what had happened on JNU campus was similar to what had happened during the 26/11 terrorist attack in Mumbai.
5. Lastly, a Congress booklet alleged that Veer Savarkar had a physical relationship with Nathuram Godse, Mahatma Gandhiji’s assassin.
All these instances only went on to show that Uddhav Thackera’s lust for power had only made him compromise on what his father once stood for, Hindutva!
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated 10:35 AM IST