The monsoon session of the Lok Sabha, which was adjourned sine die on September 24, is the most productive session, with a productive percentage of 167%
Bengaluru: The monsoon session of the Lok Sabha, which was adjourned sine die on September 24, is the most productive session, with a productive percentage of 167%.
As many as 25 bills were passed in this session, lasting just 10 days.
A popular website has made note of the following:
• In this monsoon session of the Lok Sabha, a total of 25 Bills were passed in the ten-day long session.
• This Lok Sabha session had no holiday which is a also a record. Also, the proceedings of the session continued till 12:30 a.m. in the night on two days, Sunday and Monday.
• September 21 proved to be the most productive day of the session with 234 per cent productivity which is the highest for any single day till now.
• Out of total 10 sittings, the session worked for 60 hours which is one and a half times more than the usual 37 hours. During the session 68 per cent of the total time was devoted for legislative functions and the remaining 32 per cent was devoted for other activities. During this time, 16 bills were introduced while 25 bills were passed.
• In the fixed duration of the zero hour, 370 members got the chance to raise the questions of public importance while only 180 members were supposed to get the chance to speak.
• During the proceedings of the session on September 20, 88 members got the chance to speak in the zero hour and out of total 78 women members, 60 got the opportunity to speak during this time.
• Under Rule 377 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of Lok Sabha, the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs takes follow-up questions on matters raised by the members.
• As compared to the fourth session of the 15th and the 16th Lok Sabha, almost double the members asked questions in the fourth session of the 17th Lok Sabha.
• The session fared better in terms of questions addressed by the government. The government was able to answer 99 per cent of the subjects raised.
• On average, 35 members asked questions in the zero hour every day.
• On an average 7 members in the 13th Lok Sabha, 9 members in the 14th Lok Sabha, 10 members in the 15th Lok Sabha and 12 members in the 16th Lok Sabha had got the opportunity to speak on various subjects. However, in the 17th Lok Sabha 18 members, on an average, got the chance to speak every day.
• Answers of almost 2300 unstarred questions were presented on the floor of the house.
• Special attention was paid to the health of MPs and officials during the session. A total of 8029 people were tested for Covid-19 including members of Parliament, their family and relatives, personal staff, Lok Sabha officers and workers and media persons.
• The Coronavirus situation in the country was discussed for 5 hours and 8 minutes.
Read Exclusive COVID-19 Coronavirus News updates, at MyNation.
Last Updated Sep 24, 2020, 1:46 PM IST